Gratitude and a Fact

Tonight Christian Bale won a SAG award for his role in The Fighter, and as he was walking up to the stage, he was hugging a whole buncha people, and my roommate Eric said, "I wonder if he's going to hug the sound guy," and I laughed for a good ten minutes. Really loudly.

I eat peanut butter with frozen cheese pizza because it tastes awesome. I know all the words to every song ever written by Fall Out Boy. I've seen pretty much every movie made in the 80s (and most of them from the 90s and the 00s too). I really, really love Michael Wincott. I try on shoes a lot, but I rarely buy them. I'm obsessed (unhealthily so) with possessing Sharpies. I live in the same house my parents bought twelve years ago, and I live with the same guy I've been friends with for the past ten years.


Last night, my friends threw me a surprise party at a bar.(Thanks everybody!!!!) My mom, my roommate Eric, and my good friend Pete did most of the planning, along with my friend Fi would made me a really neat plaque and a clock (and some of my writerly friends wrote some very nice things about me, thanks guys :) :)).

At the party, these are people I've been friends with for years. And they are truly, awesome, quirky, funny people. They know who I actually I am, and they like me anyway. And most importantly, they'll call me out on my crap. And that's the point. I'm still Amanda Hocking. I still have my same fantastic friends and family, my same life, and I'm grateful for it everyday.

Because as much as I love everything's that's been happening with my writing, the things that really make my life what it is are the people (and pets) I have in it.

So what has all this been leading up to? I have a fact that I'm about to share with you, and I thought this fact would change something. I thought that I would be a different person when these things happened. And the last six months have been so confusing to me because I'm not a different person, so I kept feeling like something's wrong. Something should have changed.

But then I realized that that's the point. It hasn't changed. And I don't want it to change.

Anyway - here's the long meandering moral. According to what Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Createspace is reporting, I've sold 486,018 books total. But that's without sales from Apple and the My Blood Approves series from B&N reporting to Smashwords yet. Assuming that I've sold at least 14,000 books (which I'm inclined to think I probably have) - that means I've sold half a million books.

I hate saying "I sold" books, because you know what, I didn't. You did. I wrote the books, but you the readers, along with the good folks at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Apple did all the work. You're the ones writing reviews, blogging about it, telling your friends. You've done so much for me, and I'm not going forget that or stop being grateful for it.

But I'm not going to let that change me. I'm still gonna drink orange Hi-C from a juice box, and I don't care what anybody thinks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Open QR Codes

Technology Tuesday Postponed!

Mega Giveaway! (Today only!!!)