Kids Today

My friend had a baby in June, and she asked me to the godparent. I accepted, because I like her, and because there a lot of grandparents actively involved in said baby's life, so the odds of me having to raise the child ala Kate Hudson in Rasing Helen, or Ted Danson, Steve Guttenberg, and Tom Sellick in Three Men and a Baby, seemed unlikely.

Anyway, this will be Kaycee's first Christmas. (Kaycee is the baby). I've been trying to think of what to get her, and Kaycee's mom has frequently said that she didn't watch the normal kids movies when she was little. She hasn't seen most Disney movies, for example. And only vaguely knows what a Muppet is. And Kaycee really enjoys watching TV. She cries when the credits come up at the end of her Baby Einstein video.

So I decided to compile a list of my favorite movies from when I was a kid and get her them. Because of Disney's stupid vault where the only release certain movies at certain times, I won't be able to get her everything I'd like to. But at least Beauty and the Beast is out now.

So here's a list of my favorite non-Disney vault movies from my childhood:
-Labyrinth
-Dark Crystal
-Neverending Story
-Neverending Story 2
-Legend
-Ewok: Caravan of Courage and Battle of Endor 
-Muppets Take Manhatten
-The Muppet Movie
-The Yellow Submarine


I was basically raised by Jim Henson.

Anyway - I was born in the 80's, and I picked my favorite movies that I watched when I was under the age of five. But I'm wondering if these are films for kids today. I'm sliding down on the cool scale and started to turn into that old guy has no idea what's hip anymore. (Do people say things are "hip" anymore?)

What I'm asking is for people who have children or know children, what do your kids watch? Would they like classic films like Labyrinth? Are there films I'm leaving off my list?

I watched an awful lot of fantasy as a kid. Is that normal? I also really liked dinosaurs. Maybe I'm not the best choice at picking at movies for a little girl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Open QR Codes

Technology Tuesday Postponed!

Mega Giveaway! (Today only!!!)